Thursday, June 19, 2008

Huntsville Alabama hates track people














This shit just got real. Today was a relatively normal day; went to work, sun was shining, called some friends, and then went for a vigorous night ride out to Madison and back. And then everything went to hell. We were less than two miles from my place heading east on Holmes Avenue. We took a shortcut down Dallas to connect to Church Street when we saw a bunch of people standing around the porch of a two story apartment building on our right. One of the guys from the group breaks away and starts walking toward the street holding his arms out and yelling at us. He runs at me, I quickly swerve left to dodge him when he lunges at Corey who does the same. Tyler who was running third didn't know what was going on when he lunges again and knocks him off his bike. Keep in mind we were going probably 20 mph and smiling having just about wrapped up a fun night ride when Tyler was blindsided. He violently swerved left then tried to correct and highsided going head/shoulder first into the pavement. We turn around to see Tyler stunned on the ground then staggering to his feet. We stop and a girls runs out to throw him a towel and to inform us her mom was the commissioner, whatever the fu#k that means. Thanks for the tidbit. I am instantly on the phone fearing Tyler had head trauma and the cops are there within maybe four minutes. Shit just gets better. The cops do their best to identify the suspect and for some reason, the twenty-something people in the yard have no idea who did what. Out of nowhere, a black officer rolls up and asks us what we were doing there anyhow. Apparently we need a reason to ride bicycles on public streets. Then he starts asking us about our lights which we thought were required while riding at night. He says he has been hiding in the bushes the whole time, didn't see anyone push Tyler and that he did see someone with blinky lights buying drugs. Good work officer. You missed an assault in the middle of a well lit street and you saw people who wanted to draw as much attention to themselves as possible buying drugs and did nothing about it. The funny thing was none of us had any money on us except Corey who had Euros from his recent trip to Ireland. I guess drug dealers are going international in Huntsville now. Even more interesting; none of us looked or acted high, nor would we test positive for anything except disgust. The one officer portrayed us as being at fault for riding our bikes at night. I thought we were law abiding citizens exercising and minding our own business. I thought we obeyed the traffic laws, had proper lighting, and did something other than burning fossil fuels while getting wasted. The system thus far has left me wondering how much good it is really doing. I am sure nothing will be done about the incident. I jokingly asked if we needed to wait around in case CSI was going to show up and the cops laughed telling us "shit, this is Alabama." That pretty much summed it up. All in all, it was a jacked up night. Here are some pics. By the way, two cops were very helpful and professional; it was the one officer that was acting really suspicious and unsympathetic. He also raises questions as to his true intentions, his lack of compassion and I would definitely say he smacked of a little bit of racism. He definitely took things from an assault to a black-n-white thing. I would also like to send out a big thanks to the HEMSI folks for following us home (since Tyler insisted on riding.)


8 comments:

Tyler said...

Shit they can't keep me down Two Five Fix represent I am ready to get back on the bike not even 24 hours later

beardsarefun said...

I would like to add that I feel bad in the way I described the "bad cop" as the black cop. I didnt want it to come across that way but it seems more like the direction he took things. He drew the lines very clearly asking what us "white boys" were doing riding through a black neighborhood. I told him I was sorry I didn't see things like that; that I saw it as me and my two friend riding our bikes on public roads that we had equal access to. I understand that the street we were on was in a poor part of town known for drugs and violence but we felt confident in our community. I guess optimism is for suckers.

inc123 said...

I am so sorry-- on multiple fronts.

Poor Tyler, he's so cute & loveable, who could won't to hurt him except maybe slow him down in polo.

Poor HSV, shouldn't have happened.

Although most policemen seem bike-friendly enough, there is always one bad apple in any employee group. Sure sounds like the attacker was the one on drugs.

Poor society (not impoverished), the people around should have stopped it, cop should have intervened, never blame the victim.

Alas, whole thing is just a shame. I think that as more of us ride, people will stop seeing us a trouble-makers, and see the fun of it, or the necessity Or yea us, at least some one is being 'green".

Tyler said...

hey it could have happened anywhere to anyone regardless of city neighborhood are victim involved I attempted to correct my balance and ride it off but couldn't I can't help but think if it would have happened to less experienced rider the injuries especially the blow to the head could have been more sever and possibly and resulted in hospitalization or death. I will still ride my bike and try to give most areas of town the benefit of the doubt and not try to judge any particular area of town and I would also like to add that most of the witness who saw take place where helpful especially the girl who gave me a wash towel to cover my bleeding head

clintpatty said...

heal quick

ledocmd said...

Giving benefit of the doubt to a particular area may be the noble, ideal thing to do; however, it may not be the wisest or most realistic. There are many areas/roads that are less than desirable for cycling for a variety of reasons: traffic, road conditions, crime, etc. As many alternate ways as there are from any point A to point B in this town, consider stacking the odds more in your favor and choose the safer route. Consider this: the next time you ride by, one of these guys might consider a little target practice more fun than just a little shoving.

incognito said...

If you happen to get a badge number and/or name that would be good.

Sucks that the cop had to be such a simple minded asshole!

Tyler said...

hey it's not the first time I have had to deal with and ignorant cop but the police report should be ready for me to pick up tomorrow so I will try to find out the officer's name the other two working were very professional about the whole situation but I'll keep everyone informed