Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trek Owns The World; Big Dummy Takes One To The Kidneys


Trek is slowly taking over the world. I suspect they will collaborate with American Apparel or Urban Outfitters soon and have total market penetration. I posted pics of the Trek District a few nights ago and totally overlooked the fact that it is belt drive. This makes me sad. I have been a big fan of Spot and have been rooting for them with their belt drive collaboration with Chris King. Its a very clean and unique offering which I hoped would build them a niche and gain some market power. They make a great single speed and I lust for one but the market is saturated. Now Trek offers a belt drive. I realize that more and more people are experimenting with belt offerings but I still find this disconcerting. To top things off, Gary Fisher is showing a prototype of a ridiculous Big Dummy rip off. I may be particularly sensitive to the issue because I have been very pro-big dummy since its release, but its hard to imagine how they could possibly design a bike like this with no repercussions. Here is a pic of my Surly BD:


And the heartless zombie bitch by Fisher:




I'm guessing it won't be spec'd with all the Brook's.

5 comments:

Tyler said...

fuck this i like the big dummy much better

willyb said...

You should be the only person that can have a big dummy. Well, you and that Matt guy that had one before you.

beardsarefun said...

Youre dead to me Willy, D-E-A-D! Youre just hating because i wouldnt post that pic of you with your rolled up pleated shorts. You'll thank me one day.

willyb said...

No hatin' here. That was a nice pic of my leg... I'm worried it is a glossy 8X10 on your bedroom wall.

beardsarefun said...

what? is that weird or something?