Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Blue Man Group All Up In Da Club



For those of you who don't know already, our beloved UAH now has a cycling team. The team is "a club sport at the University of Alabama in Huntsville," and "is a member of the Southeast Collegiate Cycling Conference, of the National Collegiate Cycling Association, who is governed by USA Cycling." I for one am pretty excited that these guys are doin' it up right and I wish them the best in their season. I predict they will do extremely well...especially since they will have plenty of extra time to train while opponents at other schools are actually getting laid by attractive women (roll tide). I kid though. One thing of particular interest to me, and probably anyone reading this, is the posibility of having a track team in the fall. Hell yes, do it guys! I know that 2.5.F. has a group trip to Dick Lane this spring and would welcome your company. I encourage anyone in the area who attends UAH and has an interest in cycling to contact these guys and support their endeavors. Keep up with their latest haps at their Blog. PIc borrowed from their website. thanx.

13 comments:

marshmallow said...

We're interested in track, but we really dont have anywhere to practice

beardsarefun said...

that's what I figured. How awesome would it be if we had a velodrome here!It'd be tragically underused in Huntsville but the few of us that would ride it - hell yeh!We could just go oldschool and grasstrack it. Or not, whichever. I would like to meet these guys - more cyclists = more better. Also, your party is the same night as Free The Hops at Lowe Mill.

marshmallow said...

i thought fth was saturday?

UAH Cycling Team said...

I cant believe it took me so long to find this!

I am 100% definitely doing track racing in the fall.

Practice sessions are up in the air, but I am confident we can get time on the Huntsville Speedway, a 1/4 mile banked oval that is about the closest thing to a velodrome within a few hundred miles. Collegiate Track cycling has no regional competitions, just Nationals, so our only collegiate race would be Nationals

beardsarefun said...

Yeh, this post is kinda old but who cares. The speedway is okay. it will serve its purpose im sure. Look at my post from sunday for some pics of the recent speedway omnium which was pretty fun. Have you raced track before? There was an ex-track pro from nashville this past weekend that was mashin' it at the speedway. crazy amounts of power!

UAH Cycling Team said...

Ive actually never raced real track racing, but when I was at IU I raced in the Little 500. The leadup races to the main race are all track events, and the race was done on a singlespeed. Completely different world I know, but the principles of cadence and power are the same.

I saw those pictures! I am kinda bummed I couldn't do the speedway race. I was unfortunately getting my ass kicked by North Carolina mountains on sunday.

I did one of the unofficial speedway races back in October and had a blast, albeit on a road bike. The track is a bit rough, but the corners are banked enough and the track the right length to be perfect for practice. Most aspiring track racers are not so lucky to have a facility like the speedway so close.

beardsarefun said...

You did the little 500! awesome. I'm jealous. My roommate in college was from Ft Wayne and would always talk about it. He went to Culver if you know any of those guys... I want to get on a 'drome with some super-banked turns and see how that feels.

UAH Cycling Team said...

I think a Huntsville cyclists field trip to the Atlanta Velodrome is in line for this summer, for sure.

beardsarefun said...

i definitely agree.

UAH Cycling Team said...

Had a club meeting to discuss next semester. Looks like 3 or 4 guys are interested in Track racing.

beardsarefun said...

Come by the shop and say hey some time - i'd like to meet you guys. I wouldnt mind seeing what we could do for the team next year.

UAH Cycling Team said...

Which shop is that? Who do I ask for?

beardsarefun said...

Bicycles Etc and ask for Victor