Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Peacock Groove

Sometimes I feel slightly bad for unfavorable opinions I may feel towards someone, especially when it may just be a "feeling", not actually based on concrete facts. When it comes down to it, i'm really just a victim here that science has left to die. If someone were to come up with a scientific formula for me to carefully evaluate one's douche'ness, then i would certainly do the time and crunch the numbers before passing judgement. most of the time. Take this gentleman for example. I met this dude about a year ago and my "youre a huge douchebag" alarm went off while in mid conversation with the poor bastard. Maybe its me. I just feel that when you spend the loot to get a custom bike, there should be a story and some soul to it. Something besides a bunch of tubes put together. A lot of what makes a custom bike speak to you is hard to put down on paper much like trying to describe an overwhelming feeling or sense to someone who hasnt experienced it. I saw this video and was trying to be open minded and was going to give the guy a second chance. When it comes down to it, im sure he couldn't care less about what i think but I have been in the industry for a long time and have developed a secret "bike-sense." Lets be real, you can buy a nice bike at a lot of places and I personally dont get into this guy's Orange County Choppers style bikes meaning, "Hey, I welded a miniature liberty bell on the front and painted it red white and blue because i'm an artist and it symbolizes america..." It symbolizes you're a douche bag. So back to the video. Pretty much as soon as he opened his mouth and started talking, I felt justified. For one, what is his background and why should you pick him to get the best custom bike? For all we know, he could be a muffler welder who knows how to run a bridgeport. He certainly never speaks of anything except paintjobs and fancy dropouts. Give a waterjet and anvil jig to a lot of other people and i bet they would come up with something a lot more spectacular. Second, what sort of fit-training do you have and bike background? A good example may be Gary Fisher. This dude is a master with geometry and his bikes handle like a badass trail bike should. When you go up in frame sizes, other variables need to change. It makes sense; when you lengthen the toptube, the wheelbase gets longer and a bike is less nimble. What adjustments do you make? Do you prototype frames or just build from a chart? I really don't know what he does because any time he opens his mouth it's to talk about how dope his G-N-R themed bike's paint is or how cool a peacock cutout is on his dropout. Anyhow, here is the video:

Peacock Groove - Erik Noren, the world's most misunderstood bike builder from Bill Palladino on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

your post about The Worlds Most Misunderstood Bike Builder just goes to show that you don't understand him...

ponyheart said...

ha, i suppose it does. i thought i gave it an honest effort though. i dont know why i rambled on like that either

Anonymous said...

trying to make a buck I suppose.

ponyheart said...

i dont fault the guy for making a living and props for getting out there and doin' it. i'm just saying his style and personality dont do it for me and i would have a hard time buying a bike from someone who i felt didnt know as much as me

Noren said...

1400 frames under my belt.
Croll, Salsa, Doghouse, Freeman, Speedhound, Heron, Sputnik, 3 different brands that I am under contract not to announce, worked at QBP for 11 years, built up over 2,200 bikes in the Bike Builder department at QBP, been in the "industry" for over 20 years....thanks for blogging about someone you don't like, think is a douchebag, but linked the interview with me? Don't even tell who you are? But you are in the "industry" ? I am public. It's easy to pick on me.Come on down to Richmond, I might even buy you a beer, but what do I know... I am a douchebag....so really?

ponyheart said...

man, its easy to pick on people until you know them and its hard to live up to peoples impossible standards these days. I admit that. That was kinda my point. This is a random ass blog of people just talking out their ass and im sure you dont care what we think but i honestly think you commenting back was pretty dope...and I will definitely be in Richmond.